Choosing a wedding officiant is one of the most important decisions you’ll make during the wedding planning process, because the your ceremony will be something you and your families and friends will remember for life. I enjoy working closely with each couple to create a fully customized ceremony that celebrates their unique relationship. I have been officiating weddings for over thirteen years, and have been honored to participate in everything from short and sweet home ceremonies to elaborate large-church weddings, with couples of a wide variety of life experiences and religious beliefs. Whether you are interested in something simple and brief, a complex interfaith ceremony, or anything in between, I will be delighted to collaborate with you to make your ceremony a meaningful and personal experience.
As of May 1, 2017, I typically officiate weddings in and around Cincinnati, Ohio, where I serve as the pastor of the Mt. Auburn Presbyterian Church. Other locations may be available by special arrangement. Both the church and I welcome couples regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
For a wedding in a location other than Mt. Auburn Presbyterian Church, check my availability and make an appointment for an initial consultation by filling out the Wedding Request Form. For weddings to be held at the church, please contact MAPC.
Typically, services involve:
- Initial consultation: We can by Skype, FaceTime, or phone, or in person if you prefer. During this time, we will get acquainted, discuss the basics of your ceremony, and go over the contract. See a typical contract here.
- Planning meeting: Once you’ve signed your contract and paid the 50% deposit, we will schedule a meeting that will usually be held in person, but can also be arranged by video or phone call. I will ask you questions about your relationship and what you feel is important to include in your ceremony, and we will draft an order that reflects your personalities, backgrounds, and beliefs.
- Additional communication: By email and phone, we will fine-tune and confirm all the details of your ceremony. Extra meetings in person can be arranged if necessary.
- Rehearsal: If you have a rehearsal, I will help your bridal party run through the ceremony so that everything can flow as smoothly as possible on the wedding day. You will need to give the officiant your marriage license and the remaining 50% of your fee before the rehearsal begins.
- Wedding: I will arrive at least a half hour before your ceremony begins, check in with you, and officiate the beautiful, personal service you have designed to celebrate your love.
The standard officiating fee for the services above is $300, plus any travel costs if your wedding is outside of the city of Cincinnati.
If you desire a very brief, standardized ceremony that requires no planning meeting or rehearsal, the fee is $100 plus travel costs.
Premarital counseling is encouraged but not required. I can refer you to a qualified and licensed therapist, or engage with you myself in a process of pastoral counseling. This fee will be negotiated separately.
Marriage Liturgy of the Reformed Church in America, including options for readings, vows, and ring exchange.
So you want to have a unity ceremony? Here are some that don’t involve candles.